Emergency services issue arson warning as Hertfordshire remains a ‘tinderbox’
By James Denselow 17th Aug 2026
Police and fire chiefs have warned Hertfordshire residents about the potentially devastating consequences of arson as hot and dry conditions continue across the county.
The warning comes after a man was jailed for more than nine years for deliberately starting fires in Hertford.
Emergency services say the case highlights both the danger posed by deliberate fires and the severe penalties facing offenders, particularly at a time when Hertfordshire is experiencing a heightened risk of wildfires.
Mark Lovegrove, 41, was sentenced to nine years and six months in prison at St Albans Crown Court after previously pleading guilty to three counts of arson.
He was also handed a rare 99-year Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO), which bans him from possessing matches, lighters or any accelerant, effectively for the rest of his life.
The court heard that at around 2am on January 12, Lovegrove was walking through an alleyway between buildings in the Old Cross and Cowbridge area of Hertford.
He opened bins and deliberately set fire to cardboard inside them using a lighter, as well as setting rubbish bags on the ground alight.
The resulting fire caused significant damage to neighbouring buildings, including a hairdresser, beauty salon and residential properties.
Hertfordshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service attended the incident, with police locating and arresting Lovegrove on nearby St Andrews Street.
Detective Constable Clare Halfpenny, from Hertford CID, said the sentence demonstrated how seriously arson offences are treated.
She said: "Fortunately, nobody was injured during his thoughtless acts, but this could easily have been very different, had someone been nearby, especially as some of the buildings were residential.
"Although these offences took place in January, we should all be aware of the dangers of fire and arson, particularly during the hot and dry weather we have been experiencing throughout the summer.
"Arson has the potential to cause a huge amount of damage, threatening both life and property.
"Anyone who thinks setting fires is harmless should think again. Arson can have devastating consequences, and those who commit these offences can expect to be dealt with robustly."
Chief Fire Officer Alex Woodman, of Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said deliberate fires were particularly dangerous during the current dry conditions.
He said: "As the Prime Minister has said, Great Britain is a tinderbox. Our crews risk their lives daily to protect the public and their property, and for someone to deliberately start fires is beyond our comprehension.
"At a time of heightened wildfire risk, deliberately starting fires puts lives, property and the environment at risk, while taking valuable resources away from other incidents.
"Prison sentences like this send a clear message that if you are prepared to be reckless with the lives of others, you will lose your liberty."
Anyone with information about fires being deliberately started can report it to Hertfordshire Constabulary online.
CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
hitchin vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: hitchin jobs
Share: